What are the superlatives of Route 66 as Paul and I saw it?
Well, let us list them.
Best & Worst
The friendliest state was New Mexico. I’ve never been to New Mexico before, but every single person we met was friendly. We’re not talking about the tourists, but the people who live and work in New Mexico. They score a 10 out of 10 for being friendly.
And Not So Friendly
California. Yup, California. I had one guy walk up and call me a “scum bag”. Okay… that’s a first. While we met friendly people, many of the businesses there could use a course in customer service.
The biggest surprise along the way is the Los Angeles Temple for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is right on Route 66.
Best Food Superlatives
This is a very tough one. I found it not too surprising that the beast meals were comped meals. I guess when you are providing a complimentary meal to two journalists, you want it to be the best.
That isn’t to say the non-complementary meals weren’t good (well, some weren’t), we noticed a trend.
I love a good burger. The best burger is a tie – Santa Fe Grill in Santa Rosa, New Mexico and Mr. D’z Route 66 Diner in Kingman, Arizona. Their onion rings… the same – a tie.
Best Mexican food was at Jerry’s Cafe in downtown Gallup, New Mexico. The food was good, authentic and they are the friendliest people you’ll meet. If you like sopaipillas with honey… mmmm, mmmm, mmmm. This is the place.
The funniest place on Route 66 is in Seligman, Arizona – the Snow Cap Drive-in. Just ask for half a cone and see what I mean. You don’t go here for the food, you come here for the entertainment.
I remember the Oklahoma City bombing vividly. Any news like that is sad, however, I was not prepared for the emotions I felt when I visited the site. Consequently I cried a lot while visiting this memorial.
I wasn’t sad for the slain, I was sad because of the evil that exists in the world today.
Oh, there are lots of happy places along Route 66. It depends on what you’re in the mood for. For me, it would be the nicely restored Corvairs this couple have. Or, maybe it was the fun people we met along the way. Well, it could have been the tongue-n-cheek humor in Uranus, Missouri. Therefore, there are MANY happy places on Route 66.
To say there are superlatives with road conditions on Route 66 is an understatement. Hence, I’ll just share a few of photos that tell the story.
Hotels and Motels
We stayed at many great places. All of the hotels who provided complementary lodging were clean and nice. I can’t say that about all the paid rooms.
It’s best in this category that I thank those who comped us roomes:
- Comfort Suites in Rella, Missouri – Clean and friendly staff and right on Old Route 66
- Enlight Inn in Joplin, Missouri – Charming Cottages, I want to go back.
- Fairfield Inn in Tulsa, Oklahoma – Clean
- Broadway Inn in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – Off the beaten track, but close to everything
- EconoLodge, Elk City, Oklahoma – Elk City is the middle of nowhere, but here’s the place to stay.
- Quality Inn, Tucumcari, New Mexico – Treated us like family (in the good way). The pool was ultra clean!
- Holiday Inn Express, Gallup, New Mexico – Another clean hotel on Route 66
- Ramblin Rose, Kingman, Arizona – Best Value for your money near the Grand Canyon! Clean too!
- Hilton, Pasadena, California – Best place to stay in Pasadena. Service is top-notch
- Special Mention
- Fairmont, Santa Monica, California – Amazing view. It’s a couple blocks off Route 66, but you can see it from the rooms that face south.
Not So Good
On the not-so-good side, I would not recommend Motel 6 in Normal, Illinois. And, I would not recommend Budget Host Inn, Williams, Arizona. The Motel 6 in Normal, Illinois, is filthy, and the Budget Host Inn in Williams is very over priced for what you get (or don’t get). Don’t be fooled by Budget Host’s “free breakfast”. It was a gallon of milk sitting on the counter, two sugary cereals and a couple of boxes of mini doughnuts (boxed, store bought kind).
More to Come
There is more to come. Check back often for updates as we review our trip.
Thanks to Sponsors
Also, a very heartfelt thanks to all those who sponsored our trip…
- Bay Photo Labs
- Republic Wireless
- Warner 5 Color
- Walworth Animal Hospital
- Alien Skin Software
- Anthropics Software
- ACDSee Software
- Topaz Labs
- On1 Software
- Nataliacha Doodley Do
- Fine Art by DB (Yeah, I personally put a lot of my business money in to this trip)